Working at a high school is fantastic because I’ve been able to sneak in time to write, even for just ten minutes every day. I don’t have quiet at home so by creating a Young Writer’s Group at school I’ve been able to connect with the kids and make creativity deposits in my emotional bank. Here are a few of them I’ve done in the last few weeks or will do in the next few weeks.
- Water has been recently found on Mars. Write a story about the day that NASA finally begins taking applications for volunteer colonists.
- It’s a normal day at school until a table of girls begins laughing a little too loudly, they begin to draw attention, because soon the joy on their faces turns to fear as they try to stop but can’t. Soon the next table and then the next begins to laugh until the entire room is laughing uncontrollably. Slowly but surely the laughing is creeping towards you. You then….
- Write a story about a town where the old saying “step on a crack and break your mother’s back” is real.
- Rewrite the story of Hansel and Gretel in your own neighborhood in ‘hood Atlanta. Who is the witch? What is her house made of instead of gingerbread?
- A wizard has offered you a fortune if you agree to give up one of your senses. Tell the story about the day you gave up your…..
- It’s your 18th birthday. Tell a story about a city where poor people have been engineered to live only 18 years.